Our Lady and St Wilfrid's
The church of Our Lady and St Wilfrid at Warwick Bridge, was designed by Augustus Pugin and built for a sum total of £2,586. The designs were originally commissioned by Henry Howard of nearby Corby Castle, and included plans for a presbytery and grounds. The stained-glass windows were completed by John Hardman and presented by Philip Howard between 1860–1867 and contain images of St Thomas More and St Oliver Plunkett, amongst others. The church contains statues of Our Lady of Lourdes and the Sacred Heart of Jesus, as well as a mounted Infant of Prague. There is also a reliquary containing the relics of Saint Petronia which came to the parish from Cardinal Merry del Val via the Maxwell-Stuart family and the Benedictine nuns of Holme Eden Abbey.
In 2016 the external fabric of the church was completely renovated with the help of the Heritage Lottery Fund. The Organ was reconditioned at the same time by Harrison & Harrison of Durham. The splendour of Pugin's work is exemplified in the Sanctuary. However, much restoration work is yet to be undertaken to the interior to bring it back to its former glory.
The celebration of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass takes place every day. The Mass is, for the Catholic Christian, the high point of the day since the Eucharist is the ‘source and summit’ of all we do.
All Catholics are encouraged to attend the celebration of Mass as often as possible. The times of the celebration of Mass is listed below.
If you would like Mass celebrated for a particular intention then please complete one of the ‘Mass Intention’ envelopes found in the porch of the church.
Mass Times at Our Lady and St Wilfrid’s
Saturday (Vigil for Sunday) 4pm
Saturday 10am Mass in the Extraordinary Form
After 10am Mass on Thursdays